ফুড এন্ড এগ্রিকালচার অর্গানিজশন (FAO) এর নতুন নিয়োগ বিজ্ঞপ্তি
House 37, Road 8
Deadline for Application: 11 June 2020
FAO Bangladesh assists the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh (GoB) to formulate policies, programmes and projects to address the root causes of hunger and malnutrition, develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and utilize environmental and natural resources in a sustainable way. It contributes to the development of FAO’s field programme projects in the country and implements them in the sectors of food security, agriculture and rural development.
The Department of Fisheries (DoF) and the FAO Bangladesh is going to implement a Global Environmental Facility’s (GEFs) least developed countries fund (LDCF) project entitled, Community-based Climate Resilient Fisheries and Aquaculture Development in Bangladesh (GCP/BGD/055/LDF). The Project will attempt to remove key barriers to effective adaptation to climate change in the fishery and aquaculture sector by integrating climate resilience in its policy reform and enhance resiliency of the fishery sector through capacity development of the fishery officials and the communities depending on fisheries.
The poor and smallholders in the project areas will benefit from project interventions both socially and financially, including capacity development to adapt to the adverse impacts of climate change and variability. The coastal and inland aquatic ecosystems of this project (covering an area of about 4,790 km2) will be under climate resilient plans and management practices. The long-term sustainability of the project will be promoted by adoption of strategy that promotes up scaling and replication of climate resilient adaptations across Bangladesh, and capacity strengthening of DoFs, partner organizations and local communities on climate change implications and resilient adaptation options.
Under the overall managerial, administrative leadership of the FAO Representative in Bangladesh and Budget Holder of the project, technical supervision of LTO and direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme), National Operations Officer, the PD and NPC of PMTSU and close collaboration with the Government counterpart, the incumbents would guide and supervise all project activities being implemented along with day-to-day supervision and monitoring of Field Facilitators work; provide and channel active support to local piloting at demonstration sites and training activities through community participation under the guidance of the respective field DoF officials, Consultants. His/her main tasks will be, but not limited to the following:
Tasks and responsibilities
- Under the guidance and collaboration of the PD, NPC, national team and concerned DoFs field officials carry out all scheduled project activities within the scheduled milestones;
- Maintain day-to-day liaison with the PMTSU and the concerned DoFs field officials and with other stakes working in the area for efficient implementation of project activities;
- Coordinate, assist and support all works during field studies of local and international consultants;
- Coordinate site selection, motivating, mobilizing, and involving community, implementation of various climate resilient fisheries and aquaculture piloting activities, management and monitoring maintaining liaison with the PMTSU and the local DoF officials and resolving unseen conflicts that may arise during project activity implementation;
- Support implementation activities of eco-friendly pisciculture, fish diseases identification and solution, coastal and wetland fisheries sanctuary, management, integrated rice-fish culture, assessing EIA, and suited rice variety and vegetable farming using IPM technology within the community;
- Guide and supervise activities of Field Facilitators, community mobilization, site selection, communication, oversee and manage day to day activity of his/her concerned area. Ensure active participation of all local communities/CBOs/NGOs in related project activities.
- Organize, arrange (make programmes, identify trainees, resource persons, arrange logistics, maintain communication) and facilitate all Awareness and capacity building trainings/ Focus Group Discussions (FGDs)/ Consultation Meetings/ Workshops/ Farmers Field Schools (FFSs) for the community people in coordination and liaison with the Capacity building & Training Expert, DoFs/ DAEs field officials and local UP chairman;
- Support & assist the International Golda Hatchery Expert/ International Mud Crab Hatchery Expert in the survey of the fish/prawn/ mud crab seed multiplication farms/ seed availability, review of the current status of brood stock, and assist in the development of technical implementation guidelines for brood bank programme, selective breeding programme, standard hatchery upgradation plan, and better management practice guide;
- Act as a trainer in training courses related to the brood bank and selective breeding programme;
- Compile data, analyse and produce field activity reports, conduct scientific literature surveys, grey literature searches, etc. as per PMTSUs requirement;
- Prepare and submit an End of Assignment Report (EoA);
- Carry out other activities as instructed by the PMTSU /or the FAOR.
- B. Sc. Fisheries (Hons.)/ M. Sc. in Fisheries/ Natural resources management or related discipline from a recognized university/ institution.
- Five years of related experience in development projects in freshwater fisheries biodiversity conservation/aquaculture/ environmental issues for sustainable development, coastal and wetland biodiversity management; record of accomplishment of publication would be preferred.
- Have valid motor cycle driving license.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results focus
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
- Working experience with any international organization would be preferred;
- Self-motivated, initiative, capable of working independently and in a team for accomplishing particular responsibilities in a time-bound schedule including planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills (written and spoken) in English and Bangla and computer literate (MS Office, Excel, PowerPoint, internet search engines).
- Demonstrated ability to deliver training, organizing workshops and to interact with local government and diverse range of counterparts and stakeholders.
- Ability to work under pressure and to assist the project team with any urgent services.
- Adaptable to multicultural and multidisciplinary team of experts and willing to undertake intensive field works in the SW coastal and NE wetland areas of Bangladesh.
Duration : 12 months with possible extension
Duty station: Khulna & Sunamganj
A To apply, visit the FAO employment website at Jobs at FAO and complete the on-line application. Only applications received through online will be considered. Please apply by close of business on 11/06/2020.
The post descriptions are also available through below link:
Field Coordinator (2001173)
Candidates not possessing the essential qualifications should not apply as their application will not be considered.
Any persuasion will disqualify the candidate; only short-listed candidates will be invited for the interview.
All recruitment to FAO posts is made on a competitive and transparent basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply directly to FAO and follow the instructions on the above-mentioned website. Please note that no intermediary is allowed to expedite or facilitate such process. All those who represent themselves as such are fraudulent and should be reported to FAO immediately.
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.