Erasmus for Young Entrepreneurs is a cross-border exchange programme which gives new or aspiring entrepreneurs the chance to learn from experienced entrepreneurs running small businesses in other Participating Countries.
The exchange of experience takes place during a stay with the experienced entrepreneur, which helps the new entrepreneur acquire the skills needed to run a small firm. The host benefits from fresh perspectives on his/her business and gets the opportunities to cooperate with foreign partners or learn about new markets.
Who can participate?
- New entrepreneurs, firmly planning to set up their own business or have already started one within the last three years
- Experienced entrepreneurs who own or manage a Small or Medium-Sized Enterprise in one of the Participating Countries
The scheme – which is partly funded by the EU – allows you to spend some time in another EU country working for, and learning from an experienced entrepreneur. Please note that this is an exchange scheme, not paid employment.
To qualify for the scheme, you must be able to demonstrate your motivation and firm intention to start a business. You will have to present a solid business idea, including a realistic business plan. You must also be able to complement the programme funds as needed to cover the costs of your stay abroad.
You can still apply even if you already started in business, as long as you have been running the business for less than 3 years at the time of application.
You must be over 18 years old and have been a resident in an EU country or a country that is part of the COSME agreement for the last 180 days.
Duration of the scheme
The duration of the scheme is between 1 and 6 months. It is recommended to complete the exchange without interruption, but it is possible to split your stay into several parts, as long as you finish within 12 months of starting the programme.
Who to contact
In most countries there are local contact points (Intermediary Organisation – IO). They will guide you through the application and exchange process and pay out your financial support. In case there is no IO in your country you can get in touch with an IO in another country.
EU financial support
You can apply for financial support to help towards your daily living costs and travel expenses while participating in the programme. The amount you will receive varies from country to country.
Financial assistance per country
|Country where the new entrepreneur stays||Amount given per month while staying in the country (in euros)|
|Ireland, United Kingdom||1000|
|Austria, France, Iceland, Italy||900|
|Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, Nertherlands, Spain||830|
|Cyprus, Greece, Portugal||780|
|Croatia, Malta, Slovenia||720|
|Armenia, Czechia, Latvia, Poland, Slovakia||610|
|Bulgaria, North Macedonia, Lithuania, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia||560|
|Outermost Regions of the EU, OCTs and entrepreneurs with special needs||1100|
How to apply
- You can register for the scheme online
- You will need to choose a contact point in your country of residence
Documents required to apply:
- Your CV
- Your motivation letter
- Your business plan
For more information you can consult the Registration guide for new entrepreneurs[896 KB]
Becoming a host to a new entrepreneur
If you are a successful and experienced entrepreneur or owner of a small business, you could qualify to host a new entrepreneur. You can benefit from being part of this scheme in many ways, for example:
- Working with a motivated new entrepreneur can bring innovative views, new skills and knowledge to your business.
- You may have the possibility to learn about foreign markets, this could lead to expanding your business opportunities and engaging in cross-border activities.
- You may have the opportunity to improve your language skills.
How to apply as a host
What you need to participate as a host in the programme
- You must be a permanent resident in an EU Member State or any of the other participating countries.
- Your must provide your CV (specifying your entrepreneurial experience – minimum 3 years – and information on your current business).
- You must be able to demonstrate your motivation towards participating in the scheme
You can read more about what your role will entail in the guide for host entrepreneurs[995 KB]